Local Spray Team Coordinator and Agronomy Scout
About the Company: AgriCare Inc – NW Division is a farm management company specializing in permanent crop production. We manage several thousand acres of berries and nuts in the northwest.
Description: This is a full-time position. The role of this person is to oversee spray operations on Halls Ferry and Humbug farm under the direction of the spray team coordinator. In addition to this the individual will be overseeing an intensive scouting program for spotted wing drosophila (SWD) in all blueberry blocks. Good communication with spray team coordinator, farm management team, and agronomy team is very important. Bilingual candidates with agronomic experience are preferred. Pay structure and rate will depend on experience. 401-k, health, dental and vision insurance. A company phone will be provided.
Requirements: Good work ethic, good communication skills and ability to work with many personality types, willingness to work long hours when necessary, comfortable using email and basic spreadsheet building, valid drivers license, comfortable with math necessary for calibrating sprayers and spreaders.
Responsibilities: Below is a list of some of the duties and responsibilities but is not limited to.
- Coordinating with farm supervisor and spray team coordinator to ensure crop protectant and fertilizer applications are completed safely and on time.
- Overseeing calibration of spray and fertilizer equipment.
- Follow up with pesticide applications to confirm efficacy.
- Prioritize spray applications based off of agronomic necessity, work flow, and equipment availability.
- Ensure sprayers are maintained and cleaned properly.
- Learn requirements of Organic Certification and ensure that the spray team is meeting the requirements for a mixed operation.
- Procedural scouting for SWD and occasionally other insect pests.
- Give directions and supervise one other scout helping with the SWD data collection.
Paperwork and Reporting
- During the scouting period for SWD, daily reports need to be sent to agronomy team.
- Ensure paperwork associated with spray applications is turned in on time and complete.
- Timely and accurate application updates. During harvest season ‘timely’ is daily.
- Monthly chemical and fertilizer inventories.
- Make sure all pesticide handlers are using correct personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Maintain inventory of PPE and order more as necessary.
- Monitor applicators time sheets to ensure the right amount of time is being allocated to spraying.
- Keep track of how many acres are being covered per day with all the different spray equipment.
- Pass all exams for commercial pesticide applicators license.
- Maintain licenses by attending meeting with re-certification credits.